Workshop reviewing the Best Practices for submitting an NOF application.
Neighborhood Opportunity Fund
Since 1976, City Council has provided grants for public service programs proposed by nonprofit and neighborhood service organizations through the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund (NOF) program. This program, which is a part of the City's Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, provides funds for public services to improve the quality of life of low-income residents in the City of Detroit. The program currently awards grants in the areas of Education, Seniors, Recreation, Health, and Public Safety.
Detroit’s NOF program is one of many initiatives benefitting Detroit residents that are administered by the Housing and Revitalization Department (HRD). Any Detroit community organization, human service organization, or nonprofit can apply. To help groups with the application process each fall, HRD holds an informational training session. Applications are reviewed by HRD, which then makes recommendations to Detroit City Council on which proposals to award funding. After the funds are awarded, HRD will monitor recipients and collect reporting on how the funds are spent.
Get to know some of our subrecipients:
The Youth Connection provides education and employment opportunities to youth. They were awarded $77,945 for providing youth programming with career development opportunities by exposing, engaging and training youth for employment, teaching life skills, and assisting with internship and certification opportunities.
Teen Hype provides recreational opportunities to youth. They were awarded $67,945 for providing educational programs to prepare teens for the next stage of life through life skills development, sexual health education and performing arts training.
Siena Literacy Center provides Educational Opportunities to adults. They were awarded $77,945 for providing educational one-to-one or small group tutorial services to adults to increase their basic skills, assist ESL learners, increase computer literacy and prepare them for taking the GED or seeking employment.
Congress provided $5 billion in the CARES Act for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program to states, metropolitan cities, urban counties, and insular areas.
At least 70 percent of every grant must be expended for activities that benefit low- and moderate-income persons by providing housing, a permanent job, a public service, or access to new or significantly improved infrastructure. The remaining 30 percent may be used to eliminate slum or blighted conditions, or to address an urgent need for which the grantee certifies it has no other funding.
Eligible activities include:
- Public service activities
- Housing-related activities
- Public improvements and facilities
- Activities to acquire real property
- Economic development activities
- General administrative and planning activities
Activities must benefit residents within the jurisdiction of the grantee or as permitted by the CARES Act.
The City of Detroit, Neighborhood Services division was awarded $2,511,678 in CARES funding to distribute to local subrecipients.
In the 2022-2023 fiscal year, HUD allocated over $35,500,000 to Community Development Block Grant Programs for all of Detroit. Of that total allocation, the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund was awarded over $2.7 million dollars.